Tuesday, June 25, 2013

"Paperback writer...." (Buy my book!)

I'll be posting more GWTW recaps/commentary later this week (and Chapter 2 of The Autobiography of Rhett Butler, CSA just went live), but in the meantime I thought I'd log on to shamelessly plug my book:

It's summer! If you enjoy romantic historical fiction and you're in the market for a great vacation read, I seriously think you should consider buying a copy of Darkest Hour. It's only $0.99 cents on Amazon.com!

Darkest Hour is a tale of misunderstanding and mismatched lovers, a 100,000 word historical romance set in glossy and comfortable modern London, but peppered with vivid flash backs of love and loss during the anxious days of the Battle of Britain. The heroine is Victoria Woods King, a sassy octogenarian corporate secretary who proudly served in the Women's Auxiliary Air Force and has spent the past sixty-five years gaily recounting her wartime exploits to all interested parties.

She is married to Laird, a sickly, stubborn, highly decorated former Royal Air Force pilot who still harbors nightmares about the war and who has consequently never spoken publicly or privately about his experiences to anyone, choosing instead to spend the past six decades enjoying a life of well-earned peace and anonymity. Their marriage has endured two monarchs, thirteen Prime Ministers, and the rise and fall of the Spice Girls, but their heretofore unbreakable bond is tested when Victoria signs them both up to participate in an upcoming museum piece on World War II. Now the two of them are forced to remember, forced to recount, and forced to reevaluate the nascent days of their love affair, and their story is a struggle between memory, hope, self-recrimination, and forgiveness that leads them both to unexpected places.

I wrote Darkest Hour a few years ago, and I lived in London for 6 weeks one winter to research every detail I put into my story.  As a matter of fact, I traveled all the way up to the Royal Air Force Museum in Travelcard Zone 4 on the rainiest, dreariest day of the year just to climb into the cockpit of a few old planes. The people at the museum thought I was nuts. And looking back, I sort of agree with them.

But I still think you should buy my book anyway.

--SS

No comments:

Post a Comment